- Battle Cry's passive heals Xin Zhao every three attacks, allowing him to sustain himself in lane for a while by autoattacking minion waves. Doing so for extended periods however will push your lane, so watch out for gank attempts.
- You can reduce Crescent Sweep's cooldown faster by spamming Three Talon Strike. However do take care of the mana cost early game, as you can easily run out of mana for a fight by continuously spamming Three Talon Strike too much.
- Three Talon Strike resets the attack timer, so getting one basic attack off, then using the ability will yield a greater DPS.
- The attack speed granted by Battle Cry is great for taking down turrets and minion waves, whilst also being extremely effective while jungling.
- Audacious Charge does magic damage and slows enemies surrounding the target; you can use that to your advantage by charging a nearby enemy in order to slow another just outside its range. This ability will also pop (or similar spell shields) on any of the affected targets which is extremely useful if your team has an incoming area of effect disable.
- Try using Crescent Sweep where it will hit the most enemy champions. It will not only deal more damage, but greatly increase the armor and magic resistance bonus.
- Xin Zhao is a great initiator. Lunge at a target with Audacious Charge, attack a nearby minion, and use Crescent Sweep to do the most damage possible. If you can cast it while in the midst of the enemy team, it will also grant Xin Zhao a large amount of armor and magic resistance to survive in the fray.
- To further increase the effectiveness of the initiation, try and aim your attacks specifically at a high value target such as the opposing carry before using Crescent Sweep as this will cause them to be Challenged, reducing their armor, separating them from their teammates and marking them for your allies.
- Xin Zhao is an formidable ambush ganker. Battle Cry and Three Talon Strike make it very hard to immediately escape from him and deals high initial damage, and Audacious Charge makes it so that even targets with escapes can be chased effectively.
- Xin Zhao is very good at tower diving enemy champions who are low on health, even at low levels; a combination of Crescent Sweep, Three Talon Strike and Battle Cry can grant you enough defense to survive the tower hits and damage to quickly slay your opponent.
- Audacious Charge slows the enemy enough to be able to land your Three Talon Strike with almost complete success if they have no blink or dash ability, guaranteeing the knock up.
- Xin Zhao is a good jungler with Battle Cry's passive effect and a great ganker with Audacious Charge and Three Talon Strike after finishing his jungle route.
- The best time to gank is when the enemy champion has recently used all their escape summoner spells such as Ghost and Flash (or abilities such as Arcane Shift or Rocket Jump).
- It is best not to use all your crowd control at once, time each of your crowd control abilities with your ally allowing an easy kill when your enemy gets out of melee range you can then Audacious Charge to ensure your kill.
- Crescent Sweep can assist in ganks by knocking enemies back towards your allies, but be sure that you are both in front of them and do not currently have your target Challenged before you do so.
- Audacious Charge can be used to escape ganks on some occasions by targeting a minion or a champion along your escape route. Combined with Flash, this can allow Xin Zhao to escape most unfavorable fights.
- Crescent Sweep can be used to knock enemies away from you when trying to escape.
- Xin Zhao is a natural fighter with a strong reliance on autoattacks and an excellent attack speed steroid; consequently, items that grant attack damage such as work well with him.
- Attack speed items like allows Xin Zhao to heal from the passive on Battle Cry more often, increasing his survivability, and triggers the knock-up from Three Talon Strike more quickly.
- Items that offer attack damage and attack speed together are excellent choices for Xin Zhao.
- armor reduction along with Challenge Challenge can grant Xin Zhao massive armor shredding power against squishy targets. Potentially, he can reduce their armor below zero, granting all attackers of the target bonus damage. passive
- armor. Note that armor reduction from his Challenge passive applies before armor penetration calculations are taken into account. also works well with his innate if the enemy team has stacked a lot of
- Xin Zhao. The attack damage of the item increases his overall DPS, the ability power increases the healing from Battle Cry's's passive, and he benefits well from the attack speed, movement speed and procs. His high base attack damage mean he can also proc for massive damage. is an especially useful item to
- Xin Zhao because the attack damage and attack speed greatly increase his damage per second output, and the ability power allows him to heal more off of the high AP ratio of the passive of Battle Cry. Full stacks of gives Xin Zhao an impressive 65 bonus healing every third hit, allowing him to stay alive extremely well as long as he continues to autoattack. The item is also quite cheap and is cost efficient for its stats at maximum stacks (which Xin Zhao can easily maintain). is an effective item for
- Xin Zhao to be more tanky and gives him a little more cooldown reduction. Using Crescent Sweep at the start of a fight will increase your armor and magic resistance, which can increase the duration of 's active. allows
- health item for Xin Zhao, and the 40% slow is extremely helpful in preventing your target from kiting you. is an excellent
- Cooldown reduction and attack speed items are doubly effective on Xin Zhao due to the flat CDR on Three Talon Strike. This means that items like and synergize well with him.
- Xin Zhao 35% cooldown reduction. Two points into Enlightenment at level 17 or three points into it at level 12, three points into Intelligence, or can give Xin Zhao the last 5% he needs to reach the limit of cooldown reduction without much overkill. 40% cooldown reduction on Xin Zhao in a way such as this is very powerful, for as long as he can keep autoattacking to use Three Talon Strike, his abilities will have very little or no downtime as long as he has mana to keep casting them. and will give
- Starting items: , x3 OR , x5 OR
- Skill progression: Three Talon Strike → Battle Cry → Three Talon Strike → Audacious Charge
- Jungling order: Wolves → Ancient Golem (Smite) → Wraiths → Double Golems → Lizard Elder (Smite) → Wraiths → Gank
- OR Wraiths → Lizard Elder (Smite) → Double Golems → Wraiths → Wolves → Ancient Golem (Smite) → Gank
- Level 2 gank: Wraiths → Lizard Elder (Smite) → Gank (level up Three Talon Strike and Audacious Charge in this case)
- Xin Zhao is very vulnerable to kiting when his Audacious Charge is on cooldown.
- Try to CC Xin Zhao when he is attacking you or your ally, The crowd control effect can turn the tide of the battle to your allies favor.
- Build armor items to mitigate his damage as Xin Zhao mainly deals physical damage.
- When engaging Xin Zhao, Try to split with your allies to reduce the armor and magic resistance he will get from his Crescent Sweep.
- Xin Zhao since it reduces damage through armor, and reduces his attack speed, which is central to his damage output.
is a great counter to
- Life steal. is a great alternative, however do remember that he can heal himself through the damage if he has
- Avoid stacking health without armor as Crescent Sweep deals physical damage based on your current health.