- Consistent use of Baleful Strike Baleful Strike to last-hit minions is key in amassing ability power, but make sure you have enough mana regen to maintain it. Because of the last-hits needed to make this possible, Veigar is a good choice for a solo lane.
- Be firm about getting Crest of the Ancient Golem. Having the extra CDR on Baleful Strike Baleful Strike will let you hit every minion with it, and have the mana to sustain farming and harrassing.
- Early ranks of Baleful Strike Baleful Strike have a higher cooldown, so remember to also use your auto-attack to get last hits.
- An easy way to last hit with Baleful Strike Baleful Strike is to let the tower hit melee minions twice then follow it with a Baleful Strike Baleful Strike. Let the tower hit caster minions once along with one auto attack and a Baleful Strike Baleful Strike.
- Starting from rank 3 Baleful Strike Baleful Strike becomes a mana-efficient harassment tool.
- If possible, try to finish off enemy champions with Baleful Strike Baleful Strike. It'll give you 1 more AP, in addition to the passive AP gain after killing an enemy champion.
- Event Horizon Event Horizon is one of the strongest stuns in the game - it stuns for 2.5 seconds at max rank and is AoE. With practice, it's easy to stun or cage at least 2 or 3 players.
- Aiming Event Horizon Event Horizon so that enemies are on the edge and thus immediately stunned is vital in trapping champions with escape mechanisms or Flash.
- You can use Dark Matter's Dark Matter's impact animation to cordon off your foes; place the spell near the champion but angled towards the direction in which he is most likely to retreat.
- Starting from level 4 of Dark Matter Dark Matter you can use it for killing half or whole minion waves, as it instantly kills minions by then.
- Placing a ward at the enemy wraith camp means you can use Dark Matter Dark Matter and Baleful Strike Baleful Strike to clear it whenever it spawns, for easy gold and XP that the enemy jungler is denied. Care should be taken as to missing opponents and the location of the jungler when attempting this, however.
- Using your Primordial Burst Primordial Burst against enemy champions with high ability power can have devastating effects.
- Using Baleful Strike Baleful Strike with Primordial Burst Primordial Burst can crush an AP carry before their team can react.
- Use Event Horizon Event Horizon to increase success rates in landing Dark Matter Dark Matter. Remember, enemies in the center can move into the stun-ring just to avoid yourDark Matter Dark Matter.
- Also, using his nuke combo of Event Horizon Event Horizon, Dark Matter Dark Matter, and then Baleful Strike Baleful Strike, in that order, will allow you an easier hit with Dark Matter Dark Matter. Due to Baleful Strike Baleful Strike being targeted, it should be used third so that it is ensured to hit.
- Getting mana regen items such as a Veigar to stay in lane as long as possible to farm Baleful Strike Baleful Strike.
or early game allows
- is a natural upgrade to benefit from a larger mana pool at the same time. A charged is also beneficial as its potential to grant AP is matched only by .
- If you've decided to build mana which in turn increases your ability power due to the passive on . , it's worth considering building as well, since it provides a substantial increase to your max
- With the changes to Veigar mana consumption a few patches ago, the is not as useful early game anymore.
- The active effect of Veigar's kit. Make sure it is the first to deal damage in your combo as it only factors in a target's current health and not their max.
synergizes very well with
- In addition, combined with and , it gives you the possibility to nuke even tanks or characters with about 150 magic resist from full to zero in less than 2 seconds. Building right after completing the boots is therefore never a bad choice.
- Be sure to cast Dark Matter Dark Matter before as the delay time is long enough to cast and hit before Dark Matter Dark Matter lands, therefore increasing your burst speed while maintaining the maximum damage on . This also helps to ensure Dark Matter Dark Matter will hit before the stun from Event Horizon Event Horizon runs out.
- Veigar, since it amplifies the ability power gained from Baleful Strike Baleful Strike. is a prime offensive item on
- benefits all AP casters, but is only recommended if you are doing well and can continue that gameplay.
- A Veigar some much needed health and mana for a good early game. It also opens him up to upgrading to a for extra health. gives
- Spell Vamp and Magic Penetration items will greatly improve Veigar's survivability in most builds.
- Zoning Veigar during the laning phase will deny him from farming ability power from last-hitting minions with his Baleful Strike Baleful Strike as he is fairly squishy and weak at early game.
- Although Dark Matter Dark Matter deals massive damage, it has a considerable delay before it lands. Use this to avoid the spell.
- If the wall of Event Horizon Event Horizon misses you during placement, avoid walking into the wall as it will still stun you for the full duration.
- Forcing Veigar to use Event Horizon Event Horizon leaves him vulnerable for its long cooldown afterwards, which can be an opportunity to go on the offensive.
- If you are playing a mage, avoid approaching Veigar until his Primordial Burst Primordial Burst has been used as it can spell instant death or bring you close to it.
- As a purely combo based mage buying a is an excellent way to counter him as it essentially negates one of his spells, making him unable to initially unleash a full combo upon you.
- Majority of Veigar's damage output are magic damage, hence items such as and will mitigate his damage output by a large margin. is a good choices of boots, partly due to the magic resist, and mainly due to the tenacity that reduces the stun duration of Event Horizon Event Horizon.
- If Veigar is giving you a hard time in early game try rushing a and build it into an as he will no longer be able to successfully harrass you until he has his . Champions like Galio with a naturally high magic resist have the advantage over Veigar.